Larry Williams Drive
- Autor: Vários
- Narrador: Vários
- Editora: Podcast
- Duração: 1554:47:18
- Mais informações
Informações:
Sinopse
With a straight down the middle approach, Larry Williams Drive on Newstalk ZB delivers the very latest news and views to New Zealanders as they wrap up their day.
Episódios
-
Thomas Coughlan: NZ Herald political editor on the Government incorrectly estimating FamilyBoost eligibility
24/04/2025 Duração: 04minThere's a new push for changes to the FamilyBoost scheme, after the Government incorrectly estimated the number of families eligible. New data shows 249 families have received the maximum payment of $975 dollars a quarter since the scheme came into effect last year. 21,000 were originally forecast to be eligible. NZ Herald political editor Thomas Coughlan explains the impacts that come with this. LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
Murray Olds: Australian correspondent on the fatal stabbing of a shopkeeper in Darwin
24/04/2025 Duração: 04minAn elderly man was recently the victim of a fatal stabbing in Darwin - prompting outrage and concern from residents. Northern Territory Police have arrested the 18-year-old suspect over the death of Linford Feick, 71, who ran the Friendly Grocer store in Nightcliff in the region's north. Australian correspondent Murray Olds says the 18-year-old had only just been granted bail for sexual assault charges - and shouldn't have been out. LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
D'Arcy Waldegrave: Sportstalk host on NZ Cricket's new partnership with North America's Major League Cricket
24/04/2025 Duração: 04minEmbattled ventures into America in other sports aren't swaying New Zealand Cricket boss Scott Weenink's confidence in their new investment. They've become the first national body in the code to invest in a franchise T20 league - taking a stake in an expansion team in North America's Major League Cricket. Sportstalk host D'Arcy Waldegrave explains further. LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
Chris Bishop: Transport Minister on the South Auckland Mill Road project getting an additional funding boost
24/04/2025 Duração: 04minThe wheels are in motion for South Auckland's Mill Road project. Transport Minister Chris Bishop has announced $91.1 million has been approved for completing design and consent work on the Manukau to Alfriston sections. It includes a four-lane general traffic corridor, with a westbound bus lane at the northern end. Bishop says the road will be tolled - allowing the road users to help pay the cost of the road. "All the new Roads of National Significance that we want to build around the country - we said, as a starting point, they will be tolled, because that's a way of bringing forward the investment." LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
Gavin Grey: UK correspondent on the Pope's body being moved to St Peter's Basilica
23/04/2025 Duração: 05minPope Francis' body has been moved to St Peter's Basilica, in front of crowds of worshippers. The late pontiff lies in a simple coffin of wood and zinc, wearing a red robe with a rosary in his hands. The Pope's coffin will remain there following the Liturgy until his funeral on Saturday. UK correspondent Gavin Grey says crowds are coming in to pay tribute - and tens of thousands will be expected to come through in the coming days. LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
Jenee Tibshraeny: NZ Herald Wellington business editor on Nicola Willis rejecting claims of political interference on the Reserve Bank
23/04/2025 Duração: 03minThe Finance Minister has adamantly denied any suggestions of the Government trying to interfere in the Reserve Bank. Critics have raised concerns that the Reserve Bank's temporary Governor and Chair are acting to appeal to Nicola Willis' interests. NZ Herald Wellington business editor Jenee Tibshraeny explains further. LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
Full Show Podcast: 23 April 2025
23/04/2025 Duração: 01h40minOn the Heather du Plessis-Allan Drive Full Show Podcast for Wednesday, 23 April 2025, two days, two shocking twists in the case of the disappearance of John Beckenridge and his stepson Mike. The Herald's senior crime reporter Anna Leask tells Heather why a key witnessed changed his story at the last minute. Donald Trump says huge tariffs on Chinese goods will come down in a first sign of a major backdown. Former ambassador to the US Tim Groser speaks to Heather about when to take Trump at his word - and when not to. Plus, the Huddle gets fiery over Winston Peters' attack on RNZ - was it inappropriate or did he have a point? Get the Heather du Plessis-Allan Drive Full Show Podcast every weekday evening on iHeartRadio, or wherever you get your podcasts. LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
The Huddle: Does Winston Peters have a point about RNZ?
23/04/2025 Duração: 10minTonight on The Huddle, Jack Tame, host of Saturday Mornings and Q&A and Jordan Williams from the Taxpayers' Union joined in on a discussion about the following issues of the day - and more! Labour wants Chris Luxon to tell Winston Peters to back off after the latter had a fiery interview on RNZ this morning - and his threat to cut RNZ's funding off. Was he right? Was it appropriate? New Zealand is pledging more money and support for Ukraine - do we agree with this move? LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
Stephanie Batchelor: Milford Asset Management expert on the sections of the market that have held up
23/04/2025 Duração: 03minDespite the negative press and volatile climate, some financial markets have managed to hold up solidly throughout 2025. The consumer staples industry - food, beverages, household products - and all the brands tied to that sector have managed to stay strong throughout the year. Milford Asset Management's Stephanie Batchelor explains further. LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
Rob Nichol: NZ Rugby Players Association CEO on the new brain health screening service for rugby players
23/04/2025 Duração: 07minNew Zealand now has access to a brain health screening service - lauded by a former All Black - designed to identify and support those with dementia and other cognitive issues. All professional rugby players, no matter their age or stage, encounter brain health concerns attached to concussions or repeat head knocks. A new online test, designed by medical experts and rolled out by World Rugby in Ireland, Australia, Wales and South Africa has now been launched in New Zealand. NZ Rugby Players Association CEO Rob Nichol says these tests are incredibly thorough - and these results are sent over to experts to set up potential appointments. LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
Perspective with Heather du Plessis-Allan: Winston's attacks on RNZ aren't that shocking
23/04/2025 Duração: 02minWinston's in trouble with the opposition again, isn't he? He's in trouble with the opposition - yet again, someone in the opposition's gone crying to daddy, calling on the Prime Minister to sort Winston Peters out. I mean, last time this happened, it was because he was mean to old 'Bussy Galore'. This time, it's because he's threatened to defund Radio New Zealand. Now he did this this morning in what I consider to be a highly entertaining tantrum, actually, because he got cross at RNZ for getting cross at him because he wants to define what a woman is in law. Now, this crying to daddy business that's going on about Winston is utterly pointless, and I bet you Labour knows it, but they're doing it anyway. But it's pointless because number one, you and I both know that Luxon is not going to sort out Winston Peters. Luxon needs Winston more than Winston needs Luxon right now. And number two, Winston is not wrong. Radio New Zealand looks like it is going to lose funding in the upcoming budget - or
-
Tim Groser: Former NZ ambassador to the US on Trump hinting towards a U-turn on China tariffs
23/04/2025 Duração: 05minIt's looking more and more likely that Donald Trump is laying the groundwork for a u-turn on the tariffs implemented on Chinese goods. Tariffs are currently sitting at 145 percent - but Trump recently claimed they'll 'come down substantially, but it won't be zero'. Former NZ ambassador to the US Tim Groser says it's unclear what will happen next - given all the uncertainty Trump's economic policies have created. LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
Simon Laube: Early Childhood Council chief executive on the Government announcing a regulatory refresh for the sector
23/04/2025 Duração: 02minThe wait continues for the Early Childhood Education sector - which has long called for a regulatory refresh. Cabinet has agreed to 15 changes intended to improve child safety, access to care and centre viability. Early Childhood Council chief executive Simon Laube says it's hard not to get excited about the prospect of changes. "The only thing that's difficult is - we've got to wait another 18 months to get that actually done, but it's great to have a timeline." LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
Nureddin Abdurahman: Wellington City Councillor on the Portuguese millipedes impacting Owhiro Bay
23/04/2025 Duração: 02minThere's claims Portuguese millipedes are wreaking havoc in Wellington's Owhiro Bay - and should be declared a pest. The many-legged creatures have been invading homes in the small suburb at night. City Councillor Nureddin Abdurahman says he's heard the problem is spreading beyond Owhiro Bay to wider Wellington. He says if someone visits the nearby Red Rocks, millipedes could be taken into ecologically protected areas like Zealandia. "If it's impossible to eradicate then it needs to be contained." LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
Joe Carr: Regional Council Transport Committee Chair on the Government's plan for a new Northern Expressway
23/04/2025 Duração: 03minThe Government has unveiled a new Northern Expressway that goes over Northland's Brynderwyn Hills rather than around. It's released its planned route for Northern Expressway taking it from Warkworth east of State Highway one, over the hills to the east of the current route, then through Whangarei. This comes instead of a proposed bypass to the west. Northland Regional Council Transport Committee Chair Joe Carr has voiced support for this move. "People aren't secure in making decisions to do with holidaying and investing in Northland, so it's pretty serious stuff." LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
Anna Leask: NZ Herald senior crime reporter on a witness retracting an earlier claim about the Beckenridge case
23/04/2025 Duração: 03minThere's another twist in the puzzling disappearance of John and Mike Beckenridge - missing from Southland since 2015. During a Coronial hearing in Christchurch today, a witness retracted his earlier claim his cousin had told him he'd helped the pair flee. The father and stepson's car was found in wild sea near the Catlins - below an 88-metre cliff, with no bodies. Herald reporter Anna Leask says the witness made a complete turnaround after being shown his police statement. "He read through his statement and said - that's what the police have, in this document, that I didn't say it and I never said that and he didn't say this to me." LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
Thomas Coughlan: NZ Herald political editor on Chris Bishop unveiling the new Northland Expressway
23/04/2025 Duração: 05minGood news for Northlanders - as the Government settles on the Northern Expressway option. The new route will run from Warkworth, and be built over the Brynderwyn Hills east of the current route, then through Whangārei. The road across the Brynderwyns has suffered continued closures, since 2023's severe weather. NZ Herald political editor Thomas Coughlan says it's tipped to be a costly project - but a new road is needed. LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
Mitch McCann: US correspondent on Donald Trump backing Pete Hegseth after second Signal chat leak
23/04/2025 Duração: 04minDonald Trump has confirmed he's standing 'strongly' behind Pete Hegseth after reports claim he leaked more military plans. Hegseth's wife, lawyer and brother were included on a Signal group chat, where he shared detailed plans about an operation against Houthi rebels in Yemen. This comes one month after a journalist released messages between top US officials after accidentally being added to their group chat. US correspondent Mitch McCann says Donald Trump has 'dug his heels in' and he's reluctant to let go of Hegseth as US Secretary of Defence. LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
D'Arcy Waldegrave: Sportstalk host on Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad confirming he'll stay with the Warriors until 2027
23/04/2025 Duração: 03minRelief for Warriors fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad after putting pen to paper with the NRL club. The 29-year-old will stay at Mt Smart until the end of the 2027 campaign. Nicoll-Klokstad says he couldn't imagine being anywhere else, following reports linking him to a move to UK's Super League. Sportstalk host D'Arcy Waldegrave explains further. LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
-
Richard Hills: Auckland councillor unveils new proposed plan for management of Waitākere Ranges
23/04/2025 Duração: 06minAn Auckland Councillor says a new management plan for the Waitākere Ranges is about consultation - not decision-making. The council wants to set up a regional committee, jointly controlled by Council-and-Government, alongside tangata whenua. Richard Hills says it's a sounding board, and final decisions would still be made by the council and local boards. He says it would make an already existing process easier - putting all the usual groups consulted in one place. LISTEN ABOVESee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.